Thursday, March 19, 2015

Butterscotch Visits Illinois

From: Butterscotch
Date: March 9, 2015 
Where am I? : Chicago, IL USA Calvin! 
After sleeping so much in Wisconsin, I made a very quick and short trip down to Chicago, Illinois to visit your “Cousin-Uncle Wooga - Brian” and your Aunt Grazi.
 We are having a LOT of FUN!!! This city is full of history and exciting things… I have been a very busy bear. Here is a list of some cool information I learned:
1. Chicago is in the state of Illinois. Illinois was the 21st State to enter the USA in 1818. 



2. President Abraham Lincoln was from Illinois… The state slogan is actually “The Land of Lincoln”! I took my picture with a statue of President Lincoln… he was the tallest President to ever hold office!!







3. The Illinois western border is the Mississippi River. This river goes all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico and is the line on our map where we divide the USA into EAST and WEST.
4. Chicago is the 3rd Largest city in the USA – this place is wicked big! Lots of people and skyscrapers here, I feel super small! 
5. Chicago is in the “Midwest” part of the USA. It is located on Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is part of the “5 Great Lakes” in the country… the water here has NO SALT in it Calvin!! These lakes hold over 20% of the world’s FRESH water. That is a LOT!! 
6. In 1871 the “Great Chicago Fire” burned the whole city to the ground, over 17,400 buildings!! Only 4 buildings were left standing (3 Churches and the Famous Water Tower – I took my picture next to the Water Tower!) 
7. Chicago rebuilt quickly after the [ire and made some really cool buildings, and tall ones too! People travel on vacation to Chicago just to look at all the different architecture and designs of these super tall buildings! The first building to ever have Air Conditioning was the Wrigley Building!! (They made bubble gum!!!) 
8. There is a river that goes through the city, called the Chicago River…it used to flow Backwards!! (they dye the river bright green on St. Patrick’s Day!!) 
9. Chicago has wicked awesome MUSEUMS!!! We went to the Field Museum to see “Sue” – she is the most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex ever found, and she is very nice for a dinosaur. We also went to the Children’s Museum to meet up with other fun children. 
10. Chicago people LOVE their Sports Teams. They have football, hockey, 2 baseball teams, basketball, & soccer teams. 
11. We watched a Chicago Blackhawks game one night and it was awesome…I still love soccer the most, but Hockey is a lot of fun to watch…Especially the team in Chicago… they won the championship against our Boston Bruins – Cousin Uncle Wooga said it was a great game and Boston and Chicago have the very BEST teams in Hockey! Maybe we can watch some hockey together when I get back home?? That would be fun!






 I took a few pictures and will bring them back to you and maybe even get them on the blog! I miss you Calvin but I am super excited to have this fun adventure!! I really do love to travel. I can’t wait to learn about the places I will visit next! I think I might be going out to California… That will be a fun & long airplane flight! 
Love, Butterscotch xoxo
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments:

We love to receive comments!