Friday, November 14, 2014

Ishemel's Alaskan Adventures


Another exciting day in Alaska!  I got to visit Denali National Park, home of Mt. McKinley, North America’s tallest mountain at 20,320’!  That’s really big!  In fact, the natives of Alaska, the Athabaskan tribe call it Denali, which means “The High One” or “The Great One”. 
The friend that I’m staying with, Kim, has climbed the mountain three times.  He says it’s very hard and you have to carry everything you need to survive for several weeks on your back and sleep in a tent in the extreme cold and wind.  There is lots of snow and you get used to not seeing any other color but white.  There are no smells on the mountain.  Can you imagine not smelling fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for weeks?!  It seemed like too much for me, so I just did some hiking near the bottom of the mountain.


It’s been unusually warm in Alaska since I got here.  There isn’t much snow either.  It seems strange to not be able to ski or go dog sledding when you’re in Alaska.  Oh well, I’m having fun and this weekend I’m going to look for some wild animals.  But then again, who is wilder than a bear from MA?!  ha ha


Love,
Ishemel

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments:

We love to receive comments!